Cornelia City Hall
Chenocetah Fire Tower
The Chenocetah Fire Tower
Address: Highway 123 East
Cornelia, GA 30531
Availability: Every Saturday in April thru October
About the Tower
Built by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in 1937 for the Chattahoochee National Forest, the stone tower is 54 feet high with a 14 foot base, situated on square stone platform with a granite balustrade. The wood cab covered by a 15 feet high peaked slate roof that curves slightly at the eaves. It is 1,830 feet above sea level and is located at the summit of Chenocetah Mountain. The observation room is accessible on the interior by a metal spiral staircase. It was first dedicated on June 7, 1938, and again after World War II in memory of three forest workers who died during the war.
The 40 foot antenna located on the side of the tower was added around 1970 when radio equipment was installed in the interior. The tower was in active service as a fire tower until 1975.
The tower was unused until 1989 when the Georgia Forestry Commission took over staffing during the fire season. The tower has been adopted by people living in residential areas near the mountain who have formed the “Chenocetah Conservation Corps” to provide grounds maintenance. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.